Thursday, August 5, 2010

My t op five pica-pica (road trip edition)

Day 4 of the 60-day blog challenge

If you live in the South and you work in the city, you and I probably get tired of the same thing everyday; traffic and commute.

I've tried moving out of our house and living near my workplace but it didn't work out for me. I miss home. I miss my parents, sisters, my niece and my Lola. I miss my bed. I haven't gotten a sound sleep, except for days when I'm dead tired. I miss the overflowing food and all the values made from home. I guess I'm not yet ready to live on my own.

Anyhoo, the estimated travel tive from Manila to Cavite is 1 hour and 30 minutes, without the traffic. But when the streets get infested with dreadful traffic, commuters spend 2 hours or more. During this span of time, everyone gets bored and hot tempered. As for me, I get irritated and hungry. Everytime I get stuck in the traffic, I always pray that some takatak boys will show up in the bus and sell me some snacks to munch on. Chips, biscuits, candies...with their persuasive voices, you're sure to buy something to save yourself from the crazy traffic.

With that, here's my top 5 pica-picas.

5. Empanada
This is just new in the road market, I think. On my way to Cavite, there's only one man who sells empanada and I seldom get the chance to encounter him. I don't know his name so I'd like to call him Kuya Joe. But every time I hear him say "Empanada, bagong luto, mainit pa," (Yep, I know his famous line) I wake up from my slumber and grab some ham and cheese empanada for my tummy.Okay, so Kuya Joe's empanada comes in two flavors, ham and cheese and chicken empanada. I prefer the first one. With just an affordable price, 12 pesos, Kuya Joe's empanada is filled with chopped ham and melted cheese. Yum!

4. Green peas and cornick
If siopao is for dinuguan and tuyo is for champorado, then green peas is for cornick. These two contemplate well each other and has been a staple on birthday parties and inuman session. On the road, I like Boy Bawang and Ding Dong. Crunchy and salty, so much yum to munch on. I just wish I can also have a can or two of beer while on the road, stuck in traffic, on a rainy day. Haha!

3. Chips
Who doesn't love chips? It's fun and can take away your bore. Piattos, Nova, Chippy, Marty's, Pillows, Roller coaster, Tortillos and a lot to mention.

2. Mani/ Peanut
Mani is a classic pica-pica. Boiled or stir-fried, it's always a blockbuster. I have seen so many variations of mani; from peanut brittle, kasoy mani, mani na hubad, mani with balat, mani na sinangag, and of course nilagang mani. As for me, I want my nuts hot and naked! (No pun intended, go figure) :) Need not to say more because mani is every Pinoy's favorite.

1. Kropek/ Fish cracker
I don't know what kropek or fish cracker is made of but I really really love the taste of it. I'm addicted to it since I was young. Whenever we pass by on vendors selling kropek, I make sure I'll get my own plastic bag of fish crackers. Up to my OJT days and as of this time, kropek is still my personal favorite. I prefer it without vinegar and I can finish one bag in one sitting, without sharing it to my friends. Hee.


How about you? What's your favorite pica-pica?

2 comments:

  1. kornik my dear! it takes time to swallow a piece. Just to kill time. nalilipat yung inip sa bibig.. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dez, correct! Ang sarap pa pati kapag naririnig mo yung crunch sa bibig. It's the snack made to kill time! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete