Monday, December 10, 2012

Where did two years go?

Yes, I'm still alive. I'm still here.

So what happened? It's a cliche but what can I do when my crazy life got in the way.

I've done a lot of reading instead of writing. A lot of travelling (and some shopping on the side), dreams turned into reality, realizations, weighed out priorities, change of plans and a whole lot more. 2 years and just like that! Wow!

When I just started flying, I gave myself a deadline on this job. I told myself two years is enough. Two years of travelling the world and exploring life above and under 36,00 feet is enough. And so I thought.

The reason for the deadline is to pursue my first love, which is media. Growing up, I've never imagined myself as a beauty queen or a flight attendant like most girls would dream of. I just wanted to be in front of the TV delivering the news. I was a happy girl during my college days. I didn't care about eyebags, sleepless nights and being broke because of production expenses. The adrenaline rush of live production thrills me. Deadlines make me creative and I can say I beat most of it. I really, really love writing. And I felt I was born for it.

After college I thought I needed a break. Like a couple wanting some space to find his/herself. I think I grew tired of finding bad news everyday to sell. I felt weary and old while typing articles on my laptop. I felt the need of doing something new and liberating. Something that is not me.

I have a cousin who's working as a FA and I always admire and love her pictures exploring the world. I've thought it would be great to work and see the world at the same time. And I've asked myself, why not? Why not take a detour for some time and come back to media.

The rest is history and after two years, I'm kinda sad that I'm still here. Sad because now I think that I might have just fancied myself as a writer. I think I've lost the rigor in me during my freshmen years . I think I no longer see myself fit for media. I think I've lost a part of me that was the real me. Part of me wants to quit my work here and try again my luck in media. Fight. But my other half is thinking the most practical way of living. Flight.

I really enjoy my job. I have learned to love and appreciate it. I meet new people everyday. New encounters, new scenarios and I'm not limited from the 9-5 job. The most important thing is I get to travel and if I give up this right now I'm not sure if I'm ready to stop seeing the world's beauty.

I also realized from my previous post that I haven't accomplished much of my to do list as I turned 22. I  turned a year older but I wasn't able to buy my own car and get a driver's license.I won't be able to find a career fallback because I'm considering to stay here a little longer. And the worst is I have no savings, seriously!

Better things happened instead. Up to now I still can't believe I bought a house and lot. I have my own house and lot. My very own. Okay I'll stop now. I was able to set foot on US and UK which I really dreamed of. And I think I became a better person! Haha!

I remember my professor's reaction way back in college when she found out what the heck I'm doing with my life now. "Actually, if I was as brave and passionate as you when i was your age, I might have done the same thing! ha ha. Would have loved to travel around the world all the time too." She was my favorite professor and I look up to her skills not just in teaching but her journalist's instinct as well. And her having said that meant a lot to me. And I think I still have it.

I have been blessed and favoured for the past two years and I am always grateful and thankful for the love He has given to me. I guess God put me here for a reason. I haven't realized the purpose yet so I guess I'll fly until I find out why.


No comments:

Post a Comment